These ground beef tacos are fresh and flavorful. Making your own seasoning is super easy. There is no MSG and you can spice it up as much as you like. Ground beef tacos are versatile too. The seasoned ground beef is delicious on nachos or beef burritos.
Ground beef tacos are an easy family favorite. You can’t go wrong on taco Tuesday with these yummy ground beef tacos. These tacos are full of fresh natural flavors and are mildly spicy. They are also low-sodium and preservative free ~ unlike many taco seasoning spice packets. In addition to having more fresh flavor, I prefer to make my own taco seasoning because I have picky eaters. This recipe allows me to make one batch of taco meat, then I split the batch.
Half the batch is mild, the other I bump up the heat with additional peppers or cayenne and add cilantro. My husband and I prefer our tacos spicy and enjoy the flavor of cilantro, which our kids do not. Everyone is happy and I made one meal for everyone to eat. Win, win!
Serve the ground beef tacos with your choice of toppings and tortillas ~ soft, corn, gluten-free. It’s all good. Our favorite accompaniments include grated white cheddar, crisp lettuce, salsa or fresh pico de gallo and guacamole. And don’t forget the lime! A fresh squeeze of lime makes all the difference in flavor.
I hope you enjoy this classic beef taco filling. Leave me a comment below.
Ground Beef Tacos
- Serves 6
- Prep 10 mins
- Cook 20 mins
Always a family favorite you can’t go wrong with these fresh ground beef tacos.
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 1 small onion, diced
- 2 tsp cumin (full tsps)
- 1 tbsp dried oregano
- 2 tsp chili powder
- 2 cloves garlic, crushed
- 1 fresh green chili, finely diced
- 1 lb lean ground beef
- 1 tsp fine sea salt
- 1 dash fresh ground pepper, to taste
- 1 dash cayenne pepper, optional to taste
- 1 lime ~ juice half a lime and cut wedges for garnish with other half
- 1 handful fresh cilantro, torn or rough chopped
- tortillas for serving
- grated white cheddar cheese or Monterey Jack cheese<br>
- crisp lettuce, finely sliced
- salsa or pico de gallo
- Heat the olive oil in a skillet over medium-high heat. Add the onion and cook for several minutes or until it begins to soften. Add the cumin, oregano, chili powder, garlic and chile. Saute for 2 minutes stirring to allow the spices to bloom.
- Next add the beef and stir to combine with the seasonings and break up the meat. Season the beef with sea salt and a pinch of freshly ground black pepper. Continue cooking the beef until it is browned (about 8 – 10 minutes).
- Taste and adjust the salt and pepper and add a dash of cayenne pepper (optional) accordingly. Turn off the heat and stir in juice of half a lime and cilantro.
· Use a green chile of your choice. I usually choose a smaller green chile like a serrano. However, you can improvise and use jalapeno or hatch chiles to your taste.