This slow cooker beef and broccoli recipe is an easy way to get the flavor of a beef stir fry at home. Using a slow cooker to cook a boneless chuck roast makes the meat melt-in-your-mouth tender. I love the ease of a slow cooker because you can walk away from it.
This post contains affiliate links. See policy for disclosure.
In order to keep the broccoli fresh and crisp tender, I opt to steam the broccoli at the end of the cooking time on the stove top instead of adding it to the slow cooker. There is nothing worse than mushy broccoli! It only takes a few minutes to steam it. Use a 6-quart Crock Pot for this dish. I would have never thought you can achieve a delicious Asian-inspired stir-fry dish with the use of a slow cooker. But this recipe makes it possible.
Many slow cooker recipes start out with browning meat or veggies before putting them into the crock pot. Don’t skip this step. This is how a great deal of flavor and color is developed and it only takes a few minutes. I used a large non-stick frying pan to sear the meat.
The sauce in this recipe pairs beautifully with the beef and broccoli featuring the flavors of garlic, ginger, mustard and a hint of sweetness with brown sugar and orange. Keep things simple and serve it with your favorite steamed rice. We prefer a long grain brown rice. But you can also try cauliflower rice if you’re watching your carbs. I chose to add a little corn starch to the sauce to thicken it. This recipe can be gluten-free if you use Tamari Gluten Free Soy Sauce instead of regular soy sauce.
This slow cooker beef and broccoli recipe is adapted from an America’s Test Kitchen cookbook called Healthy Slow Cooker Revolution. This is a great cookbook with over 200 slow cooker recipes. I changed a few of the ingredients and cooking methods in this recipe to suit my needs and tastes. I like to simplify recipes to use more common fridge or pantry staples where-ever possible so you are more likely to have what you need already on hand.
Leave me a comment below about your thoughts and experiences with this recipe.
If you make any of my recipes, use #northwestspoon and share your photo.
Slow cooker beef and broccoli
- Prep time 10 minutes
- Cook time 7-8 hrs on low
- 2 tbsp vegetable oil
- 3 scallions, minced
- 2 tbsp fresh ginger, grated
- 3-4 garlic cloves, minced
- 2 tsp toasted sesame oil
- 1/4 tsp red pepper flakes
- 1/4 tsp dry mustard
- 1/2 cup chicken broth
- 2 tbsp soy sauce (or Tamari)
- 2 tbsp packed brown sugar
- 1 tbsp corn starch
- 2 lbs boneless beef chuck roast, trim fat and cut into 1 1/2 inch pieces
- 1 1/2 lbs broccoli florets, cut into 1 inch pieces
- 1/4 cup orange juice
- In a skillet on medium-high heat, heat 1 tbsp oil. Add scallions, ginger, garlic, 1 tsp sesame oil, pepper flakes and dry mustard. Heat until it is fragrant and sizzles. Transfer this to the crock pot.
- Add chicken broth, soy sauce, brown sugar to the skillet on medium-high heat. Stir with a wooden spoon picking up any left over spices. Transfer this liquid to the crock pot.
- Heat 1 tbsp oil in the skillet on medium-high heat. Sear the beef roast pieces on all sides until they begin to brown. Stir the seared beef to the crock pot.
- Cover and cook for 7 – 8 hours on low.
- Remove 1/4 cup of liquid from the hot crock pot. Stir in 1 tbsp corn starch mixing to remove lumps. Add a little water if necessary. Stir the corn starch mixture into the crock pot.
- Steam or microwave the broccoli florets and 1/4 cup of water in a pot or covered bowl for about 6 minutes or until a fork lightly pierces the broccoli. Drain the broccoli and then transfer it to the crock pot.
- Stir into the beef mixture the orange juice and remaining 1 tsp sesame oil. Taste and adjust the seasoning if desired with another tblsp soy sauce (or Tamari). Allow it to sit a few minutes so that everything is heated through.
- Sprinkle the beef and broccoli with additional chopped scallions for garnish and serve. Serve with brown rice or cauliflower rice.