Instant Pot mushroom risotto is savory, wholesome and creamy. It’s a great electric pressure cooker dish for a mid-week meal. This recipe can also be made plant-based.
Savory mushroom risotto is one of my favorite dishes to make with an Instant Pot (electric pressure cooker). Imagine perfectly cooked el dente risotto without all the stirring and adding of broth slowly. When I first made this recipe, I admit, I was very skeptical. I have received training by Italian chefs about how to patiently and slowly cook risotto to achieve it’s delicate creaminess and infuse flavor. My expectations for electric pressure cooker mushroom risotto was low. Yes, it can be done, but would it taste good?
To my surprise, incredibly delicious and creamy mushroom risotto is actually achievable in an electric pressure cooker. I could not believe my eyes after I opened up the pressure cooker and gave the rice a stir. How could this be?
What kind of rice do you use for risotto?
In Italy carnaroli rice is commonly used for risotto. Arborio rice is somewhat easier to find here and is equally as good. Both are short-grain rice high in starch. Risotto gets its creamy texture from the starches that are released from the rice during the cooking process. Use either of these types of rice for this Instant Pot mushroom risotto.
What kind of mushrooms to use
In this recipe I use fresh baby bella mushrooms. However, if you have the opportunity to use a mix of different kinds of mushrooms, I highly recommend it. It adds complexity and even more flavor to the dish. In particular, I like a mix of baby bella and shiiatake mushrooms. Porcini mushrooms are often traditionally used in risotto. They are typically only found dried here and must be re-hydrated first.
If you are looking for plant-based recipes to add to your weekly rotation, this Instant Pot mushroom risotto is a great one. In my opinion, it is flavorful and hearty enough to stand on its own as a full meal. If you are like me and simply need more protein, serve the risotto with seared tofu cut into cubes. Sear the tofu separately in vegetable oil seasoned only with sea salt, pepper and minced garlic. Mushroom risotto pairs well with a plate of roasted mixed vegetables, salads and soups. I also highly recommend serving this dish with a simple salad made with fresh arugula leaves (also known as “rocket lettuce,”) chickpeas and shredded carrots. Drizzle lemon juice and extra virgin olive oil over the salad and season with sea salt and ground pepper. The peppery arugula compliments the earthy mushrooms.
Instant Pot mushroom risotto pairs deliciously with many roast meats such as roasted chicken or pork. It also fairs well with beef steaks, venison or pork chops. Since there isn’t any standing and stirring as with traditional risotto, it is an achievable side dish for a roast and far less work.
Risotto cooking techniques
There are a few important cooking techniques to achieving great flavor and texture for risotto regardless of whether it is cooked on a stove top or in an electric pressure cooker. In addition to choosing a short grain starchy rice, it is important to saute and coat the rice in extra virgin olive oil and butter (the fats). The rice will begin to take on a slightly translucent appearance. This step prepares the grain to slowly absorb the liquid and release its starch. At this step, also add the dry white wine. The flavor of the wine is absorbed by the rice.
Another important step with this recipe is measuring just enough broth. To achieve this, use a large glass measuring cup. Four cup is the best size. Place sauteed mushrooms, onions and garlic into the glass measuring cup. Add enough broth to make four cups before transferring it to the pressure cooker.
At this point the pressure cooker is sealed and the cooking process (and magic) begins. After the cooking time, you will open the pressure cooker to find risotto. It will be very hot. Stir the rice and add the Parmesan cheese or Vegan Parmesan cheese alternative at this point.
And that’s it. No standing by the cook top continually stirring in broth. It really is that easy. Garnish the risotto with fresh Italian parsley or basil. I really enjoy finding new ways to prepare classics with my electric pressure cooker. I hope you enjoy this Instant Pot mushroom risotto recipe. If you make any of my recipes, share a photo with #northwestspoon. Or leave me a comment below.
Instant Pot Mushroom Risotto
- Serves 4
- Prep 5 mins
- Cook 30 mins
Instant Pot mushroom risotto is savory, wholesome and creamy. It’s a great electric pressure cooker dish for a mid-week meal.
- 3 tbsp extra virgin olive oil
- 1 tbsp butter or vegan butter
- 1/4 cup onion, diced
- 8 ounces baby bella mushrooms, sliced
- 2 cloves of garlic, minced
- 1 1/2 cups Arborio rice
- 3 1/2 cups chicken or vegetable broth
- 1/4 cup dry white wine
- 1 tsp fine sea salt
- 1/4 tsp fresh ground pepper
- 1 tsp dried thyme or oregano
- 1/4 cup grated Parmesan cheese or Vegan Parmesan cheese alternative
- Set the pressure cooker to saute function for 10 minutes. Heat 2 tbsps olive oil and 1 tbsp butter until melted. Add the diced onions and saute until they begin to soften. Next, add the sliced mushrooms and saute until they release their liquid and turn slightly browned, about 7 minutes. Stir in the garlic and saute for another minute. Use a slotted spoon to transfer the onions, mushrooms and garlic to a large measuring cup (4 cup). Then add enough broth to make 4 cups.
- Heat the remaining 1 tbsp olive oil in the pressure cooker. Add the rice and stir so it becomes coated in the oil. Continue stirring until it starts to become translucent, about 3 minutes. Add the wine to the rice and cook until it evaporates, about 1 minute.
- Stir in the onion, mushroom and broth mixture. Add the salt, pepper, thyme (or oregano). Cover and seal the pressure cooker. Use the manual function. Cook on high pressure for 6 minutes.
- After the signal for 6 minutes, release the pressure manually. Carefully open the pressure cooker and stir the risotto. Add 1/4 cup grated Parmesan cheese (or Vegan Parmesan cheese alternative) and stir for about 1 minute until it becomes creamy. Adjust the salt and pepper to taste as necessary.
· Use sliced baby bella mushrooms or a mix of mushrooms of your choice.
· Plant-based? Use Vegan Parmesan cheese alternative for a more “cheesy” flavor. Otherwise, leave it out.