Homemade Chex mix is a burst of salty, savory, nutty and crunchy flavors and textures. It is a party favorite or tasty snack for movie night or football games. You can adjust the level of spice to make it spicy or not. Add in dried fruit like Craisins, currents or dried apple chips to add in sweetness if so desired.
Homemade Chex mix is an old family favorite. This recipe pre-dates commercially packaged Chex mix varieties and may be one of many that inspired such commercial creations. My family used to refer to this homemade Chex mix recipe as “Nuts and Bolts.” The nuts and bolts name refers to the mix of round and square shapes from the cereal and the variety of whole nuts used.
This homemade Chex mix recipe is quite large. You’ll need a large roasting pan, like the kind your mom roasts a turkey or ham in over the holidays. If you do not have a large roasting pan, cut the recipe in half and use a large heavy-bottomed pot instead.
Store homemade Chex mix in an air-tight container such as a cereal container or Tupperware containers. It makes a great snack mix for hikes or lunch boxes. You can customize homemade Chex mix to your liking. You can use a variety of nuts such as walnuts, cashews or pecans. I often like to use a mix of cashews and walnuts.
I think you’ll love this homemade Chex mix recipe. Please leave me a comment below if you’ve tried it.
Homemade Chex mix
Homemade Chex mix is a burst of salty, savory, nutty and crunchy flavors and textures. It is a party favorite or tasty snack for movie night or football games.
- Prep Time 5 mins
- Cook Time 1 hr
- Total Time1 hr 5 mins
- Course: Side Dish
- Cuisine: American
- Keyword: Chex mix, peanuts, Snack mix
- Servings: 12 people
- Author: Michelle
What you’ll need
- A large roasting pan
- 4 cups Cheerios
- 4 cups corn Chex cereal or Shreddies cereal
- 12 oz box of Cheez It crackers (regular or Parmesan flavor)
- 1 lb lightly salted peanuts
- 2 cups of plain whole nuts, such as walnuts, cashews or pecans
- 1 small package of pretzels
- 1 cup melted unsalted butter
- 1 tsp garlic powder
- 2 tsp paprika
- 1 1/2 tsp onion powder
- 1 tsp fine sea salt
- 2 tbsp Worcestershire sauce
- 1/4 tsp cayenne pepper, optional
- Preheat the oven to 250 F.
- Combine the cereals, Cheez It crackers, nuts and pretzels in a large roasting pan.
- Melt 1 cup of unsalted butter. Pour the melted butter over the Chex mix and gently mix it in.
- In a small bowl, combine the garlic powder, paprika, onion powder, sea salt and cayenne pepper (if using). Sprinkle the spices into the Chex mix and gently stir.
- Add the Worcestershire sauce over the Chex mix and gently stir.
- Bake the Chex mix for 1 hour, stirring every 15 minutes. Allow the mix to completely cool before serving and storing.
- Add in dried fruit like Craisins, currents or dried apple chips to add in sweetness if so desired.
One thought on “Homemade Chex mix”
Homemade Chex Mix is a hit at our place. I’ve made these and it seems like a lot but it’s not when friends and family like them too.